The Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) handles major transportation hubs and infrastructure within the state, including Logan Airport in Boston, waterfront property, cruise ship terminals and shipping ports.
They have undergone a period of extensive reviews of its internal processes and project delivery workflow, and had identified two primary areas where improvements were desired:
- Internal Operational Efficiency
- Capital Project Delivery Quality and Efficiency
To accomplish improvements in these areas, they deployed a series of improvement methods over the past decade. Lean processes and tools were adopted in 2013, Building Information Modeling (BIM) started in 2014, and the Last Planner System was rolled out in in 2019. Massport has prioritized Sustainability and Resiliency in design and construction, and encouraged its sister agencies and consultants to embrace these approaches as well.
Their efforts supported the following UN SDGs:
- Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
As a result of their multi-year efforts and results, they were awarded with the 2022 Excellence in Sustainable Development award from the IISE Sustainable Development Division.
A webinar will be scheduled in Fall 2022 to present their work and successes, so check back for more updates or links to the presentation.