December 2020 Newsletter
Notes from the Editor
We hope you are doing well and staying safe as we encroach upon the winter months. This newsletter has some info on upcoming opportunities (including a poll for virtual meet-ups) and some articles we’ve read recently that you might find interesting (ICMYI). If you ever want to get something put into this newsletter, please reach out to us at the “Stay In Touch” section below (we always recommend joining us on our Slack).
SDD Virtual Meet-up Poll
This poll from the IISE Sustainable Development Division is to try to find time to have a recurring virtual meet-up for folks to get to connect and talk casually with each other. They are expected to occur on a monthly or bi-monthly basis, and will likely last around an hour. The first meet-up will simply be a meet-and-greet, but we may look into having speakers and presenters in the future as well. Stay tuned!
Access the poll here: https://forms.gle/5syu9Kc1Ake2qsqP7
We will be selecting a time come the beginning of the 2021 year.
2021 Summer Academy in Sustainable Manufacturing
An upcoming opportunity for students interested in sustainable manufacturing at Wayne State University!
- Application Deadline: OPEN – Applications will not be accepted after March 1, 2021
- Program Period: June 1, 2021 to August 3, 2021
Recent Webinars and Interviews
Applying Industrial and Systems Engineering Skills to Sustainability – IISE Virtual Panel Discussion
John Corliss, Gokhan Egilmez, and Brion Hurley discuss ways that Industrial Engineers, Systems Engineers and Lean and Six Sigma practitioners can use their skills and knowledge within corporations, government, education and society.
This panel discussion was held at the 2020 IISE Virtual Conference on Nov 2, 2020.
What We’ve Been Reading
Articles from IISE:
- Easing Election Day delays through industrial and systems engineering
- IISE highlights research by IISE members Laura Albert and Gretchen Macht on efforts to streamline procedures for in-person voting on Election Day
- The potential energy savings of heat reuse
- Here we will discuss the potential of waste heat sources recovery, different types of these sources, the main uses and applications of recovered heat, with particular emphasis on the oil and gas industry and the limitations of recovered waste heat.
- Telemedicine provides a modern shake on ancient teachings
- Humanitarian engineering effort devises online outlet for spiritual healers located in Cusco, Peru, the last remaining community of the ancient Inca Empire
- Ensuring food safety from farm to fork through industrial engineering
- The case study described in this article demonstrates industrial engineering principles applied to improve the record-keeping process at a vegetable farm in Iowa by developing a low cost and open source tool called FarmTabs and its beneﬁts for enhancing overall farm business efﬁciency
Other Articles We’ve Read Recently:
- Nearing Full Implementation, EPA’s Lean Management System Delivers Results | US EPA
- More People Can Access Surgery. That’s Great For Them, Awful For The Planet
- Here’s how the U.S. can lead the world on climate change innovation
Stay in touch!
To connect with our growing IISE division, check out the links below…
Email us at email@example.com
Join us on Slack (link expires 1/18, but don’t worry, we’ll update it regularly)